FIE : Chartered Engineer
Ph.D : Doctorate in Economics – Soviet Academy of Sciences
D.Sc. : Doctor of Sciences (Honoria Causa) Banaras Hindu University
D.Litt. : Doctor of Letters (Honoria Causa) Central University, Pondicherry.
Present Position :
Past Positions held
Chairman, National Manufacturing Competitiveness Council (NMCC),
holding the rank of a Cabinet Minister in the Government of India. NMCC is responsible for formulating the policies and initiatives to improve the
competitiveness of the Indian industry.
Chancellor, the Central University of Tamil Nadu, Thiruvarur, Tamil Nadu.
Chancellor, Indian Maritime University, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Presently he is also a member of the following Important Government bodies:-
Member, Prime Minister’s Council on Trade and Industry
Member, Prime Minister’s Trade & Economic Relations Committee
Member, Prime Minister’s Energy Coordination Committee
Member, Prime Minister’s High Level Committee on Manufacturing
Member, Advisory Group on climate change.
He has held many positions in the Public Sector and in the Government of
India. They were: -
In addition to the above he has Been the Founding Chairman, Technology Information, Forecasting & Assessment Council
- Chairman & CEO, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) (1972-1977 one of the largest technology oriented company manufacturing heavy equipment for the power sector in India
- Secretary to the Govt. of India in the Ministry of Industry (1977-1980)
- Chairman & CEO, Maruti Udyog Limited (1981-1990), the largest manufacturer of passenger cars in India which triggered the modernization of the Indian Automobile Industry
- Chairman & CEO, Steel Authority of India Limted (SAIL) (1985-1990), the largest producer of Steel in India
- Member, Planning Commission (1991-1992)
- Member, National Advisory Council (2004-2008
Been the Co-Chairman, Indo-Japan Study Committee
- Represented India in various International forums and bilateral negotiations.
- Also been associated with Public Enterprises Selection Board, Telecom restructuring Committee, Committee to determine the Policies of Disinvestment in Public enterprises, Chairman, Committee on “Synergy in Energy” etc.
Among others Dr. V. Krishnamurthy has been associated with the following academic/professional institutions: -
- Member, Board of Governors, Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad (1973-1976 and from 1990 onwards)
- Chairman, Centre for Organization Development, Hyderabad (1980-2000)
- Chairman, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (1982-1984)
- Chairman, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad (1985-1990)
- Chairman, Xavier Institute of Management, Bhubaneswar (1987-1992)
- Chairman, Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi (1990-1993)
- Chairman, Indian Society for Quality. Initiated & sustained the Quality movement in India
Dr.V. Krishnamurthy has been conferred several honors; the more important among them being:-
- He is one among the very few Indians to have received three of the four highest civilian awards conferred by the Government of India for outstanding services to the country. They are the “Padma Shri” in 1973 the “Padma Bhushan” in 1986 and the Padma Vibushan in 2007
- “Business Leadership Award” in 1975
- “Businessman of the Year” in 1987
- “Steelman of the Year” in 1989.
- “Lifetime Achievement Award in Management” given by the All
India Management Association in 2006.
- “Nakajima Award for Quality Management from Japan
- The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers honored him in recognition for his outstanding contribution to the Automobile Industry in 2009
- Automotive Component Manufactures Association of India honoured him with a “Lifetime Achievement Award” in 2009
- Honoured by the Govt. of Japan with the highest award “Grand Cordon of the Order of the Rising Sun” in November, 2009